One of my favorite days of the week, FRIDAY! I swear though that every week goes by so quickly and it was yesterday that I was sharing a Food Friday post. Is this what happens when you get old? Time just flies by? Not that I would want to be 16 again but back then it did seem like there were more days in the week 🙂
I’ve got some good recipes for you this week! They’re some of the easiest I’ve made in the past few months that you HAVE to make them. Perfect for the nights when there is too much going on to make a crazy fancy dinner or when you need a quick and delicious breakfast!
1. Shrimp Quinoa Bowl
- 2 cups spinach
- 6 tbsp uncooked quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, diced
- 10 oz frozen shrimp
- 1-2 tbsp chili sauce
- Place spinach in two bowls and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine quinoa, garlic and 2/3 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
- Bring a skillet to medium high heat. Add shrimp until warmed and cooked through.
- Add all vegetables, quinoa and shrimp to the spinach bowls and devour!
2. Blueberry Smoothie Bowl
- 1 cup Almond Milk (or regular milk)
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- About 2 cups frozen blueberries
- Toppings: Kiwi, Flax Seeds, 85% Dark Chocolate Square (I only used one!)
- Add milk to blender first and then the rest of the ingredients (sans toppings, obviously). Blend until smooth. It might be necessary to add more milk if it’s too thick but it is all personal preference!
- Top with whatever your little heart desires.
3. Chinese Chicken Stir Fry
- 5 tsp lite Soy Sauce
- 3 tsp brown sugar (not packed)
- 2 tsp chili sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- Stir Fry
- 5 cups Frozen Asian Style Stir Fry Vegetables
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 orange
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
- In a small bowl combine sauce ingredients plus 1 tbsp water. Set aside.
- Spray a skillet with non stick and heat to medium-high heat. Add frozen veggies and cook for about 4 minutes or until thawed.
- Add the chicken to the vegetable skillet, season with garlic and pepper. Cook until veggies are hot and chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in reserved sauce.
- Top with orange slices and almonds.
- Makes 2 servings
4. Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 lb ground chicken or turkey
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp lite soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp chili sauce
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 small zucchini
- 2 green onions
- butter lettuce or 2-3 heads of baby romaine
- In a large skillet add the oils and chicken and cook on medium-high heat until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the onion, zucchini, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar and chili sauce. Stir to combine and cook for about 5 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the garlic and ginger, cook for about 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and top with green onions.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of mixture into lettuce leaves and serve.
5. Biggest Loser Pancakes
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup Old Fashioned oats
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- frozen berries (I used a few raspberries and blueberries)
- In a blender or immersion blender, blend all ingredients together until smooth.
- Spray a skillet with non stick and pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the skillet. Cook until there are little bubbles that occur on the top of the pancake. Flip and cook until done through.
- In a separate sauce pan, heat berries until warm and syrup-y and pour over top of your pancakes 🙂
- Makes 2 servings
Are there any types of food that you guys want to see here on the blog? I’ll do my best to find healthier versions of the food you love so you can enjoy it more without being worried about excess calories or sugar. Just let me know 🙂 I hope you all have an awesome, fitness and vegetable filled weekend!